If you’re in the world of marketing, you’ve probably heard of geofencing. It’s a relatively new location-based mobile technology that allows marketers to target people in specific geographic areas. It works by wrapping a virtual fence around specific locations. Consumers are targeted based on the GPS in their phone. Anytime a person enters a geofence with their mobile device, they will receive your mobile ads or alerts.
6 Advantages of Geofencing Technology
- It’s adaptable, meaning you can change the parameter size based on the traffic at the location. For example, a pub might want a larger geofenced area during evening hours than morning hours.
- Deals can be hyper-local. Areas surrounding a business can be geofenced in order to encourage walk-in customers. Those that enter geofenced areas will receive special offers or promotions for your business.
- It’s a great tool for marketing events. Marketers can geofence all businesses within a city that share the same target audience and advertise upcoming events.
- Engage only the most relevant local shoppers who are most likely to become customers.
- Gain new business from consumers visiting related businesses; for example, an ice cream shop could target local restaurants encouraging consumers to go for dessert after dinner.
- Tailor advertisements during holidays. Promote specific products that are relevant to current holidays and events.
This is an exciting tool that offers a lot of value to marketers. There are an increasing number of businesses, like ReachLocal, that offer geofencing services. Check them out and give geofencing a try. It is a technology that can benefit businesses in all industries.